Carphone Warehouse picks Y&R for new Christmas ads
By FRANCESCA NEWLAND, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 August 1999 12:00AM
Carphone Warehouse has handed Young & Rubicam the task of developing a heavyweight Christmas television campaign, thought to be worth around pounds 3 million.
Carphone Warehouse has handed Young & Rubicam the task of
developing a heavyweight Christmas television campaign, thought to be
worth around pounds 3 million.
Y&R pitched against Lowe Howard-Spink, Duckworth Finn Grubb Waters and
the Brasserie to secure the business. It already holds the pounds 3
million account for Tandy, which is owned by the phone company. The
Brasserie is the incumbent on the main Carphone Warehouse business,
worth pounds 12 million annually.
The company’s founder, Charles Dunstone, was told of Y&R’s acquisition
of Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe on Tuesday, when he informed the agency
of its win. It is not yet clear whether Rainey Kelly’s handling of the
Virgin Mobile account will present a serious problem.
Although the new task is specifically for the run-up to Christmas, the
agency is hopeful that the relationship will continue. ’We’ll take it a
step at a time,’ Toby Hoare, Y&R’s chief executive, said. ’Part of our
strategy this year has been to develop our credentials with local
clients. So this is a significant development for us. It says that we’ve
changed as an agency.’
The heavyweight TV campaign will mark a change in direction for Carphone
Warehouse, which historically has focused its spend on radio
advertising. The media accounts, held by Radioville, Matters Media and
Unity, are unaffected by the review.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Senior Content Strategy Manager EMR £65000 - £70000 per annum, Surrey
- CRM Analyst EMR £50000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Opportunity to join the Blue Skies Creative Team Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, Richmond upon Thames
- Category and Brand Manager EMR £65000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'