Saatchis uses an unusual slant to kick off 9feet.com campaign
By GORDON MACMILLAN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 28 April 2000 12:00AM
9feet.com, the outdoor pursuits e-commerce company, has appointed Saatchi & Saatchi to handle its pounds 4 million launch campaign following a four-way pitch.
9feet.com, the outdoor pursuits e-commerce company, has appointed
Saatchi & Saatchi to handle its pounds 4 million launch campaign
following a four-way pitch.
The UK launch this spring will be followed later in the year by a
roll-out into France and Germany, making the site the first Europe-wide
online retailer of active sports products. Media planning will be
handled by Saatchis and buying will be through Acumen.
As well as offering online sales, the site presents independent advice
about equipment, events and places to walk, climb, ride, surf and
The pounds 4 million marketing budget will largely be spent in the UK
and will include sponsorship, direct mail, online, poster and press
Tom Hartley, the marketing director of 9feet, said: ’We are consciously
trying to avoid the pitfalls that other consumer dotcoms have fallen
into - millions spent on advertising for paltry revenues. Instead, we’ve
worked with Saatchis to devise an unusual campaign both in terms of the
brand building strategy and the advertising execution.’
The first work will run in specialist sports titles to be followed by
activity in the men’s style press.
Carrying the tagline ’as seriously into the outdoors as you are’, the
ads eschew the creative style of work running in the sector. Instead of
focusing on the scenery and the athleticism of the models, it looks at
what the enthusiasts leave at home - a half-empty fridge, a
half-decorated living room and an unruly garden.
Hartley added: ’Most enthusiasts are heading off to the Peak District
for the weekend, not to the High Sierras - the campaign acknowledges
this and celebrates it.’
The copywriter on the campaign was Mike Sutherland and the art director
was Anthony Nelson.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Senior Digital Operations Manager Harvey Nash £50000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Marketing Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, London
- Marketing Executive Ninesharp £25000 - £27000 per annum, Southampton
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- Metro launches content agency