TBWA creates Npower campaign
By MATTHEW COWEN, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 11 May 2001 12:00PM
Npower is aiming to capitalise on its sponsorship of this summer's
cricket Test series with a pounds 3 million brand-building campaign
The 30-second ad, which breaks next Monday, concentrates on the year's
showpiece cricketing event, the Ashes series against Australia. It
features the England cricket captain, Nasser Hussain, who returns to his
London apartment to find a series of goading answering machine messages
from his Australian opposite number, Steve Waugh.
Living up to his team's reputation for 'sledging' its opponents on the
field, Waugh has left Hussain a stream of messages boasting that England
has no chance of winning the series and recapturing the Ashes. 'We're
gonna take you to the cleaners, mate,' he predicts. 'And that's after
Pakistan have ripped you apart.'
As the phone rings again and Waugh begins another message with 'I just
wanted to offer you the chance to surrender', Hussain seems to rise to
the bait. He walks over swinging his cricket bat, but instead of
smashing the machine in a fit of pique, he begins to practice his
A voiceover then cuts in, announcing: 'Whatever happens in the cricket,
now there's a test that's really easy. Take the Npower test to find out
how much you can save on your gas and electricity bills.'
The campaign, which launches three days before England's first Test
against Pakistan on 17 May, will run throughout the summer across
Channel 4, Sky and the Tyne Tees, Granada and Central ITV regions. Media
planning and buying is by Manning Gottlieb Media.
'Our investment in cricket for 2001 is a key element of the Npower
brand-building strategy and the Nasser ad is an extension of this,'
Npower's divisional director, David Andrew, said.
The ad was written by Pat Burns, art directed by Gav McGrath and
directed by Ed Sayers through Godman.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Director of Strategy Factory Design Labs Depending on Qualifications, Valais
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London
- Brand Partnerships Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + excellent commission & benefits, London
- Agency Sales Manager - SPORT Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + competitive commission, London
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity