AMV BBDO lands £3m Gillette oral care prize
By JOHN TYLEE, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 July 2001 12:00PM
Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO is set for a billings boost of more than
£3 million after Gillette's decision to align its global oral care
business within the BBDO network.
The switch ends Lowe Lintas' tenure of the business in the UK while
extending BBDO's leading position on the roster of the Boston-based
consumer products manufacturer.
The oral care business includes Oral-B manual toothbrushes and
children's toothpaste, and Braun Oral-B power toothbrushes.
Gillette chiefs cited BBDO's extensive worldwide creative resources as
the reason for transferring the account out of the Interpublic-owned
Gotham agency in New York without a pitch.
The extra assignments complement BBDO's existing work for Gillette,
which includes the Right Guard anti-perspirant range, the Mach 3 shaving
system, Venus for Women razors and Duracell batteries.
McCann-Erickson will continue to handle the majority of Gillette's
business outside the US, while Lowe Lintas in New York retains
responsibility for its Braun brand shavers and razors.
Last year, Gillette committed a £53 million marketing spend to
support the global launch of three new Braun Oral-B electric
toothbrushes, part of a flurry of new product launches by the
The Braun Oral-B range includes electric and rechargeable power
toothbrushes and plaque removers. The company currently spends £3.3 million on the promotion of Oral-B toothbrushes in the UK but this
is expected to increase as new products are launched.
Gillette insisted the decision was not related to the company's ongoing
review of its supplier relationships but declined to say whether or not
it would be asking BBDO to lower its fees in the light of the extra
Allen Rosenshine, the BBDO Worldwide chief executive, said that although
the decision to award the business to the network was not linked to a
demand for a change in compensation, he expected that fee discussions
would take place now that BBDO was handling more of its business.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 per annum, London
- Online Media Executive - Mobile Display Campaigns - Top Agency Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Senior PR Account Manager AF Selection £32,000 + Benefits, South Manchester
- Online Marketing Executive Stopgap £25000 - £26000 per annum, Epsom
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'