TBWA nets $90m Etihad
By Emma Barns, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 15 April 2005 02:14PM
Omnicom stablemate OMD is set to pick up the global media brief for the airline.
Omnicom's TBWA network has netted the global account for the United Arab Emirates' new national airline, Etihad, estimated to be worth $90 million.
The win sees TBWA pick up the airline's direct marketing and PR as well as its above-the-line communications. Media will also be aligned within Omnicom and is expected to be handed to the holding company's main media network, OMD.
The pitch, which also involved Ogilvy & Mather, Publicis and JWT, was run from Etihad's headquarters in Abu Dhabi, where TBWA is now looking to set up shop. However, the account will be led from TBWA's London office.
Ian Ferguson-Brown, the marketing director of Etihad, led the pitch.
He denied that a final decision had been made and said the airline was still talking to four agencies.
Andrew McGuinness, the TBWA\London chief executive, returned from Abu Dhabi on 13 April but refused to comment.
The airline officially launched in November 2003 to challenge airlines that fly into Dubai. Its arrival in the UK was announced in April last year with the creation of a route from London to Abu Dhabi. The target market is primarily business travellers.
The airline's advertising is likely to communicate Etihad's positioning of a high standard of customer service.
Last April, Media Planning Group scooped Etihad's £11 million UK media account. However, MPG was not involved in the recent review.
Etihad operates 17 routes. It aims to service 70 destinations by 2010.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Search & Performance Marketing Director - Dubai MCG Associates Competitive and Tax Free in the sunshine!, Dubai, UAE
- Regional Planning & Strategy Director - Middle East & North Africa - Dubai Based MCG Associates Large Tax Free Package + Family Medical + Family Flights + Bonus + Relocation flights and hotel, Dubai - UAE
- Biddable Account Manager - Social Media - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager - near Bath Stopgap £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'