Leo Burnett tops list of Cannes Lions winners
By Jeremy White,, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 29 June 2001 12:00PM
Leo Burnett London lost out to Cliff Freeman & Partners for the coveted Grand Prix at the International Advertising Festival in Cannes last week.
The agency's favoured "bear" spot for John West Food, directed by Danny Kleinman, was beaten by Cliff Freeman's campaign for Fox Sport's regional coverage - which bagged two-thirds of the jury's vote.
Partizan's Traktor directed the Fox campaign.
Burnett fared better than any other agency, however, securing three gold Lions for "bear", its "quick" spot for Heinz Microwaveable Soup and its "estate agent", "plumber" and "Hansen" spots for McDonald's.
Altogether, UK agencies won eight of the 24 gold Lions awarded last
Lowe Lintas walked away with a gold for its latest offering for
Interbrew's Stella Artois beer, "hero's return".
BMP DDB picked up a gold award for its "driving test" TV spot for the Volkswagen Passat, as did Bartle Bogle Hegarty for its "twist" commercial for Levi's jeans. Mother bagged a gold for its "emergency"
execution for Coca-Cola's Dr Pepper.
J. Walter Thompson's emotive TV spot for the Special Olympics, "different", which starred an Olympian with Down's Syndrome, also secured a gold Lion.
The US followed close behind the UK, its agencies landing six golds in total, plus the Grand Prix. The countries also tied their total number of film honours, with 16 each.
Bob Isherwood, the president of the film jury, is introducing a book called The President's Log which will name and shame agencies that enter scam ads in future.
Last year DDB/Chicago's "whassup?" campaign for Budweiser took the top prize. "What are you doing?", Goodby Silverstein's upper-class version, won a bronze this year.
The number of winners was down on last year. The film jury awarded just 70 Lions, compared with 101 in 2000. A total of 24 gold Lions weren awarded, one less than in 2000.
The International Advertising Festival has announced plans to extend the awards by adding a marketing services event next year.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- CRM Manager Brand Recruitment £45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits, Maidenhead
- Account Executive Source £20000 - £25000 per annum, London
- Digital Marketing Executive (Search Marketing) Brand Recruitment £27000 per annum + benefits, Bury St. Edmunds
- Freelance E-Commerce Designer Creative Recruitment £150 - £200 per day, City of London
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014
- Evian tops YouTube 2013 ad leaderboard
- Watch: The Economist's interactive Nelson Mandela film