MmO2 hires Agency Republic for online branding business
By IAN DARBY, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 16 November 2001 12:00PM
MmO2, the mobile communications brand that includes BT Cellnet's
operations, has appointed Agency Republic to handle its £5 million
online branding account.
The appointment comes in the same week that mmO2 confirmed its
commitment to spending £150 million on the above-the-line launch
of its brand across Europe through the BBDO network.
Agency Republic, which is backed by Omnicom, will act as mmO2's lead
global online agency. It won the business after a pitch against Zinc,
Rufus Leonard and Wheel.
BT Cellnet will be officially rebranded as O2 on 19 November as part of
BT's demerger of mmO2, which was previously known as BT Wireless.
Agency Republic will create and manage the O2 brand across channels
including web, mobile phones and interactive television.
It will also work alongside BBDO, Lambie-Nairn and with local digital
agencies on bringing consistent branding to mmO2's customers in other
Martin Brooks, the co-managing director of Agency Republic, said: "In
the short term we will be creating a brand online and then turning it
into something consumers can interact with. Creating the brand online
involves work on what the site, e-mails and banners will look like."
Will Harris, the vice-president of marketing of mmO2, said: "O2 is the
first mobile brand of the post-internet age. We have expectations for
branding above the line and below the line and need experts to drive
The BBDO appointment follows O2's decision to cancel a pitch that was
under way through Agency Insight.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Freelance Senior Producer Purple Consultancy £250 - £300 per day, London
- Campaign Reporting & Performance Manager Major Players £55000 - £60000 per annum + bens, London
- Campaign Manager Purple Consultancy £200 - £250 per day, Woking
- Marketing Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Nottinghamshire