Manchester United shortlists agencies for website account
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 November 2001 12:00PM
Manchester United Football Club is in the final stages of holding a
digital review for its global website.
The review, overseen by Manchester United's marketing director, Peter
Draper, originally concerned six new-media agencies. However, the list
has now been reduced to two.
The football club, which boasts the largest supporter base in the world
and is also the world's biggest club in terms of financial turnover, is
planning a redesign of the front-end of its website. The redesign is
scheduled to be launched next year.
The site is at present managed by TWI Interactive, a division of IMG,
which also handles the back-end of the web operation.
However, it is understood that TWII has made it through to the final
round of the review.
The website is a vital part of Manchester United's revenue stream but
the club also views it as a way of communicating with its global fan
The official club website, www.manutd.com, was launched in September
1998 in conjunction with its technology partners, Sun Microsystems,
Lotus, UUNet and Informix. It receives 6.5 million page impressions on
average per month.
Manchester United has an estimated six million supporters in the UK
It also has the largest fan base of any football club globally.
In 1999, SportsLine Europe, the US-owned website operator, signed an
agreement to become the internet sports media partner for the football
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Technical Project Manager/Architect Red Sofa London £300.00 - £350.00 per day, London
- Comms Planning Director Lipton Fleming £45000.00 per annum + benefits, London
- Head of Membership Royal Pharmaceutical Society c. £55K, Lambeth, London (Please note we are relocating to 66-68 East Smithfield Street, E1W in 2015)
- Planner Direct Recruitment Up to 60k plus benefits, Central London