Oliver to front Sainsbury's Xmas ads
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 07 December 2001 12:00PM
Jamie Oliver has shrugged off recent PR disasters to appear in a
new burst of TV advertising for Sainsbury's in the run-up to
The campaign, through Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, comes in the wake of
research that claimed the celebrity chef is a turn-off for Northern
shoppers and the appearance in the national press of pictures of his
wife, Jules, laden down with rival Waitrose carrier bags.
However, it is said that Oliver will commit himself to a new deal with
the supermarket chain. "He is likely to be involved in the advertising
for at least another two years," an industry source said.
A new 30-second slot breaks nationally next Wednesday featuring a
Christmas dinner at which Oliver is a guest rather than the chef. His
cousin, Tom, prepares the feast with the Sainsbury's Taste the
Using the products gives Tom the confidence to remark "Eat your heart
out Jamie Oliver" before his guest arrives.
The new film is supported by three other spots. In one, a 20-second
commercial for goose fat, Oliver cooks perfect roast potatoes using his
secret ingredient. The other ten-second slots feature him struggling
with wine on his scooter while another promotes Sainsbury's Mini Veg
Kate Nicholson, the Sainsbury's senior manager, said: "These four
executions provide hints and tips to help make this Christmas
inspirational while also ensuring it's hassle free."
The ads were written by Tony Strong, art directed by Mike Durban and
directed by Marc Charac through HLA. Media was bought by PHD.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Biddable Planner - PPC - Leading Consumer Brand Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Client Services Manager - Leading Global Media Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Strategic Alliances Manger, major RTB platform Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum + +comm, London
- Country Senior Sales Manager - DACH - top DSP Ultimate Asset £45000 - £50000 per annum + +£35k comm + bens, London