THE BOOK OF LISTS: Wigs off to advertising's leading briefs
campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 17 December 2001 12:00PM
Contrary to what everybody thinks, Campaign doesn't have
favourites. We hate everybody equally. That's OK with agencies, not such
a good idea when ranking m'learned friends.
The dog-eat-dog business practices of most agencies are as nothing
compared to the ruthless competitiveness of media law firms. So much so
that Campaign is reluctant to put the legal eagles in a pecking order
lest a writ should come winging our way.
So, throwing caution to the wind, we make our selection, publish and be
The top legal eagle? Easy. Lewis Silkin's Roger Alexander wins that race
by a mile. He defined the category, having been an advertising lawyer
for three decades with enormous respect.
Snapping at his heels come the "always impressive" Stephen Groom, of
Osborne Clarke, and Brinsley Dresden, Lewis Silkin's head of advertising
law, who's the only game in town for standard industry contracts.
The most welcome phenomenon of our ranking is the growing presence of
So wigs off to Vanessa Hall-Smith, a major asset to Harrison Curtis. A
warm welcome also to Sarah Byrt, who has risen through the ranks at Rowe
& Maw and understands the creative process.
Ladies and gentleman of the Campaign jury, we rest our case.
- Best advertising lawyers, p46.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Artworker Co-ordinator / Senior Creative Artworker Aquent £35-£40k pro-rata salary, London
- Senior Account Director - Integrated Stopgap £55000 per annum, London
- Midweight 3D designer Aquent £25-£35k, West London
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014
- Evian tops YouTube 2013 ad leaderboard
- Watch: The Economist's interactive Nelson Mandela film