THE BOOK OF LISTS: The 10 Status symbols of 2001
campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 17 December 2001 12:00PM
We know, it's an obvious one, but it's still a favourite, particularly
with adland's loaded, including Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO's Michael
Baulk, Partners BDDH's Leslie Butterfield and M&C Saatchi's Nick
2. Food allergy
Apart from giving the girls working for Soho's production companies
something to talk about between themselves, it's also a great way of
ratcheting up the bill in restaurants as the chefs grapple with your
macrobiotic, wheat-free cous-cous.
3. Second home in France
That pad in Cannes is SO convenient for the summer - or could have been,
if you're O&M's Paul Simons - and not at all a drain on the finances.
Otherwise, a beach hut in Whitstable is the cheaper option for creative
directors - that's where AMV's Peter Souter goes to feel the sand, see
the sea and shiver.
4. Private yacht in Cannes
Yup, life doesn't get much better than sundowners on the deck while the
rest of the mob crowd the Gutter Bar, does it, TBWA/London? Shame theirs
was courtesy of Carphone Warehouse client Charles Dunstone - before he
defected to Clemmow Hornby Inge.
5. Name above the door
Despite last year's glut of silly named agencies, this year has shown
it's still covetable to have a names agency which doesn't sound too
ridiculous. Step forward Clemmow Hornby Inge.
6. Part ownership of Century
Yes, behind those unremarkable doors on Shaftsbury Avenue lies a new
playground of teak, canapes, friendly cloakroom staff and business
associates including Robbie Williams, BBH's John Hegarty and Spectre's
Danny Kleinman. Look carefully and there might even be a few flat
7. Personal trainer
It's one thing being "pitch fit" in business, but if you're in danger of
causing a total eclipse when you take off your pants, it's time to take
a leaf out of Mark Wnek's book and pump iron under the close supervision
of a sleek person in lycra.
8. Membership of Harry's Bar
Forget Soho House. Home House? Pah! Harry's Bar is chock-full of old
money supping G&Ts and talking unintelligible English. Don't even think
about going without first popping into Pringle for some sensible slacks
and a V-neck - just look to Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy's Jeremy
Miles and Bill Muirhead for style tips.
9. Owning a race-horse
In these lean times, owning a donkey also qualifies - double points if
it lives in Frinton. What other symbol of your success can eat carrots
and win you money?
10. Bespoke suit
There's nothing like the feel of fine serge, or itchy tweed, according
to the management team at Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, who are regularly
asked "which side, sir" by their tailor. The "This suit belongs to ..."
name-tag also comes in handy after a heavy night at number eight (see
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Paid Social Manager Lipton Fleming £32000 - £42000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- Events Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Agency Account Manager/Director (Outdoor) Lipton Fleming £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + 25% bonus, London
- Head of Brand Marketing Stopgap £60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits, Surrey
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart