THE BOOK OF LISTS: The 12 Best quotes of the year
campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 17 December 2001 12:00PM
1. Lionel Stanbrook, the former deputy director-general of the
Advertising Association, kicks off the list for which ten entries was
not enough. He conjured up a macabre image of the European Commission
resurrecting a ban on advertising to children: "The matter isn't
necessarily dead and buried. There's still a hand sticking out of the
ground over which somebody could easily trip."
2. Mark Tutssel is clearly not a modest man. Here is his quote when he
announced his move from Leo Burnett London to its Chicago office: "Leo
Burnett London has been the jewel in the crown creatively over the past
two or three years and, naturally, the US wanted to tap into this
3. "We spoke to a stack of dwarves and they loved it," CDP's managing
director, Simon North, said of the Hamlet Miniatures posters.
4. Nick Hastings, D'Arcy's executive creative director, clearly saw
something we missed in the agency's Maltesers posters: "Like the rest of
the campaign, these ads are full of fun and frivolity, but we like to
think that they are also educative, containing invaluable advice for
young women anywhere." One ad showed a woman with a Malteser in her
belly button. The other pictured the chocolate sliding down her inner
5. The switchboard operator at St Luke's: "Sorry, I can't put you
through to anybody at the moment. The agency's closed for spring
6. "People being electrocuted and just violent things, to me, are
funny." Dante Ariola, interviewed in Campaign Screen.
7. Tom Nester-Smith, AMV's board account director on Dulux, clearly
needs to rent a copy of The Lover's Guide. In describing the ad in which
a woman pulls some fluff from her lover's navel to match its colour for
her walls, he said: "This case of coitus interruptus demonstrates
Dulux's understanding of what really turns a woman on."
8. An exasperated Michael Finn, the chief executive of Duckworth Finn
Grubb Waters, responding to rumours that he was about to sell the agency
to IPG: "I swear on the lives of my children that we are not talking to
9. Lowe Lintas' associate director, Matt Edwards, said: "It's impossible
to sum up the experience of eating Megabeans with existing words, so
we've invented our own. We hope teenagers everywhere will be enjoying
'Oingy Boingy' in their mouths this summer."
10. The Meat & Livestock Commission's Paul Saunders on advertising
during the foot-and-mouth epidemic: "This is the rump end of the year
for us as far as advertising is concerned. Lamb sales aren't yet up and
running and it's a bit early for barbecues."
11. "They're below snorkel-level in shit," an unnamed financial loss
administrator said about Leagas Delaney, following the collapse of the
12. "I'm not going to be working on any advertising campaigns - I know
fuck-all about it," Bob Geldof, having announced a deal between his
events company, 10 Alps, and Osprey Communications.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1
- Shopper Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 + CA + benefits, South East
- Senior Brand Manager - Drinks Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + CA + benefits, South East
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- International Women's Day: 'You make your own luck' says Cheryl Giovannoni
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%