Coppertone reviews pan-European task for sun-block brand
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 14 December 2001 12:00PM
Coppertone, the sun-protection brand owned by the pharmaceutical
company Schering-Plough, is reviewing its multimillion-pound
The sun-cream brand is in talks with an undisclosed number of agencies
about the task. There will be a two-round pitch for the international
account. It is not thought that the incumbent, McCann-Erickson
Manchester, will repitch.
Earlier this month, McCann was forced to resign its international
Reckitt Benckiser business because of a clash presented when its parent,
Interpublic, bought the Johnson & Johnson network FCB.
In the US, Coppertone is the leading brand in the market with more than
30 per cent of the market. The review is the first stage of the brand's
attempt to replicate the US success in Europe.
Coppertone is looking to run a strong consumer-led campaign and it is
searching for a network to help it implement this campaign in the key
European markets. The agency appointed will be briefed to contemporise
and redefine Coppertone's brand positioning.
In the UK and the rest of Europe, Coppertone faces tough competition in
the sun-protection market from established brands such as Ambre Solaire
and Uvistat. Own-label competition from the likes of Boots has also
eaten massively into the branded market.
However, the rising public awareness of the danger of skin cancer being
caused by sun over-exposure has also boosted sales of sun protection
products in recent years.
Between 1997 and 1999, sales of sun protection creams rose by 7.4 per
No-one at Schering-Plough or McCann was available to comment on the news
as Campaign went to press.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Paid Social Manager - Leading Media Agency - Biddable Media Ultimate Asset £28000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Freelance Planner - FMCG, Pitches & Government Business Speckled Frog £250-£300 daily rate, possibly negotiable, dependent on experience, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London