Leonardo unveils VSO work showing what volunteers do
By IAN DARBY, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 18 January 2002 12:00PM
The Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is launching a national press
campaign to challenge people's perception of volunteering and the type
of people who do it.
The two press executions, through Leonardo, feature real volunteers who
have returned from their two-year stint with new skills and
The ads centre on the real countries and tasks that the volunteers
One ad, "bag on head", shows a woman standing at a bus stop with a
shopping bag on her head because during her time in Kenya she learned to
carry produce in the local way. The ad shows a bus ticket, which has
details of the work she did while in Kenya.
The second execution, "bus", shows two young men sitting on top of a
moving bus because they travelled in this fashion during a spell
volunteering in Rwanda and Zambia. The copy includes the line, "they've
done it", to reinforce the sense that volunteers gain new experience
from their time with VSO.
The new activity follows recent work from Leonardo that backs a
documentary called VSO: Making a Difference, which is running on Sundays
Leonardo's activity attempts to support the light-hearted programme with
a more serious message.
Gary Sharpen, Leonardo's creative director, said: "We are trying to
challenge perceptions of what volunteering work is and to say that
people who do it are normal people and not dippy-hippy do-gooders."
The campaign was written by Wesley Hawes and art directed by Stuart
Button. The typographer was Dave Brady and the photographer was Ariel
Media buying is through Starcom Motive.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Marketing Specialist - £40K (DOE) - London - Technology Client Digital Gurus £30000 - £40000 Per Annum bonus, benefits, London
- Account Manager (6+ months Contract) Stopgap £180 - £220 per day, West Midlands
- Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 per annum, London
- Account Director Brand Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum + + car allowance , Romford
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Tait replaces Papworth as W&K's ECD
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'