M&C Saatchi nets Cosmo account
By John Tylee,, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 14 February 2002 09:56AM
LONDON - M&C Saatchi, facing a review of its InStyle magazine business by IPC, is taking on the creative assignment for Cosmopolitan, one of the title's biggest rivals.
The agency has been briefed to produce press and poster advertising to coincide with Cosmopolitan's 30th birthday edition, which will appear next week. Jeremy Sinclair, one of the founding partners of M&C Saatchi, wrote Cosmopolitan's 1972 launch commercial which first set out its now familiar
offering of beauty advice, shopping and sex.
Meanwhile, IPC, InStyle's publisher, is inviting its roster agencies, Roose & Partners, Farm and Walsh Trott Chick Smith, to battle for its business. But it has not ruled out the possibility that M&C Saatchi, which had handled InStyle on a project basis, might repitch.
The marketing director of IPC Southbank, Helen Farquhar, said: "As the agency which launched the magazine we would like to invite it to repitch provided there is no conflict with Cosmopolitan."
The future of the media
assignment, handled by Mediaedge:CIA, is uncertain. MediaCom handles all IPC's media planning and buying.
M&C Saatchi's irreverant TV campaign for InStyle, featuring a woman smearing jam over her face and sticking her head in a bowl of cereal, has attracted criticism since its debut a year ago.
The agency struck up a relationship with Cosmopolitan through its Talk PR subsidiary which was already working with the magazine on its 30th birthday activity.
Nick Hurrell, the agency's joint chief executive, said: "The work we have done will run into the summer and will be ongoing."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Junior Front End Developer Source £25000 - £28000 per annum, London
- Head of Design Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £45000 - £50000 per annum, Reading
- DIGITAL MARKETING MANAGER (Ecommerce, Retail, CRM) Creative Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, London
- WEB CONTENT COORDINATOR-(Retail,Ecommerce,CMS,Web Management) Creative Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Community Manager, Integrated Agency, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014
- Evian tops YouTube 2013 ad leaderboard
- Volvo van Damme spot nears 60 million YouTube views