Diary: ITV bash allows Allen to show off oratorical skills
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 September 2005 12:00AM
Relationships between agencies and ITV are frigid at the best of times. But when it comes to filling their glasses at the broadcaster's expense, adland generously lets bygones be bygones.
So it was that the business turned out in force for ITV's 50th birthday bash at the Old Truman brewery in London's Brick Lane last week.
Charles Allen, ITV's chief executive, tried to boost his charisma by having his speech written for him by Justin Sampson, his director of customer relationship marketing.
Sadly, it didn't turn out as hoped. First, he caused Jeremy Bullmore, Campaign's agony uncle and the evening's guest speaker, to raise a quizzical eyebrow by suggesting he had spent a long time in the service of LWT, rather than JWT.
Then the old Scottish parsimony surfaced, with Allen urging everyone to drink the beer provided free by Budweiser rather than ITV's Champagne.
Nobody was quite sure whether he was joking or not.
- Got a diary story? E-mail us at email@example.com or call (020) 8267 4656.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Account Director - Arts Clients PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- AV Account Director (contract) PFJ £35000.00 - £43000.00 per annum, London
- Consumer Insight Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £32000 - £35000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London
- Digital Account Manager Dot-Gap £40k, Central London