Diary: ITV bash allows Allen to show off oratorical skills
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 30 September 2005 12:00AM
Relationships between agencies and ITV are frigid at the best of times. But when it comes to filling their glasses at the broadcaster's expense, adland generously lets bygones be bygones.
So it was that the business turned out in force for ITV's 50th birthday bash at the Old Truman brewery in London's Brick Lane last week.
Charles Allen, ITV's chief executive, tried to boost his charisma by having his speech written for him by Justin Sampson, his director of customer relationship marketing.
Sadly, it didn't turn out as hoped. First, he caused Jeremy Bullmore, Campaign's agony uncle and the evening's guest speaker, to raise a quizzical eyebrow by suggesting he had spent a long time in the service of LWT, rather than JWT.
Then the old Scottish parsimony surfaced, with Allen urging everyone to drink the beer provided free by Budweiser rather than ITV's Champagne.
Nobody was quite sure whether he was joking or not.
- Got a diary story? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (020) 8267 4656.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Senior Digital Operations Manager Harvey Nash £50000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Metro launches content agency