Burda launches latest bid for UK success
By Emma Barns, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 25 November 2005 12:00AM
Herbert Burda Media is expanding its portfolio in the UK with the launch of a monthly magazine.
Called Living & Gardens, the home-interest glossy will launch on 2 February.
The publisher is also planning a second monthly launch for the latter part of the year but details remain under wraps.
Living & Gardens will be edited by Sian Rees, a former editor of Essential Publishing's Real. Laura Cowen, the advertising manager of Burda's weekly title Full House, will also add the new monthly to her responsibilties.
Cowen said: "Burda is so big in Germany. We want to replicate its success over here, which means not just launching weeklies. We want to have a diverse portfolio."
Burda re-entered the UK market in March with the weekly, real-life title Full House. The magazine failed to post an Audit Bureau of Circulations figure in August and has since been de-listed by a number of retailers.
Industry sources believe the magazine is now selling around 160,000 copies a month.
Burda denied rumours that the title will close early next year. Cowen said: "We are committed to Full House and will be investing in the title next year."
Burda first entered the UK in 2003 with the women's title Amber. The magazine was shortlived, closing weeks after launch.
The new UK operation is headed by the chief executive, Alan Urry, the former managing director of the rival German publisher H Bauer. Simon Hesling, previously the UK consultant to Burda and a former publisher at Bauer, is the managing director.
Burda publishes both a homes and a gardening title in Germany.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire