Close-Up: 24 Hours with ... Simon Clemmow, Clemmow Hornby Inge
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 25 November 2005 12:00AM
Name: Simon Clemmow Job: Planning partner, Clemmow Hornby Inge Professional mission: Come up with big ideas for ambitious brands Personal mantra: Don't worry about things you can't control
7.00am The alarm goes off. There's just time to get my wife Liz a coffee and The Times in bed and grab a banana before I'm off to the gym.
7.30am An hour of torture with the wonderful Nicole at Holmes Place in Marylebone Lane. I've got a bit of a hangover after an extended lunch yesterday to celebrate a new account win. I think she can spot it.
8.35am Back home for a bowl of cereal, read of The Telegraph and shower before walking to our agency in Rathbone Street. I love the way the streets of London change from Nash design to Dickensian feel in less than a mile.
9.30am Induction meeting with Amanda Mackenzie, the new marketing director of British Gas. Happily, she's not one of those "not invented here" people who wants change for the sake of it. I look forward to working with her.
12.15pm Wait for my PA, Nickie, to call another cab to take me to The River Cafe, since Sarah Gold has nicked my first one. We're having lunch with Campaign today. I'm sure we won't be Agency of the Year, but we have a very jolly time anyway.
2.45pm Campaign do the responsible thing and depart. Johnny, Charles and I order more wine and move to a fresh table for a "partners' meeting". This proves to be a mistake.
5.somethingpm Have missed both my meetings and don't feel up to writing my presentation for tomorrow. Resolve to get in extra early tomorrow to write it. Ask Nickie if she will come in extra early to make it look nice on PowerPoint. When she says yes, I repair to the agency bar to celebrate.
7.00pm People start arriving to hear my talk. It's called Creating Big Ideas, and is one of a series designed to share best practice among people in commercially creative industries such as design, architecture and advertising. Have another glass of wine.
7.30pm Stand up to talk and find I can't really. I know this stuff backwards, but it's hard when the words you want to say won't come out properly. Hand over to Charles, who is better than me. Feel more in my element back in the bar afterwards, chatting on a more informal basis.
10.00pm Decide enough is enough and go home. Set the alarm for extra early, but sleep through it. Wake up in a panic at 7.00am ...
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Metro launches content agency