Diary: Pranks and punch-up at Campaign Press Awards
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 05 May 2006 12:00AM
Not only did last week's Campaign Press Awards showcase some of the industry's best creative talent, but it also illustrated how serious, and silly, advertising can be.
Chris McDonald, McCann Erickson's Harry Hill-esque managing director and in-house funny man, got one of the biggest laughs of the night by taunting his former creative director, Mark Reddy, who is now at Bartle Bogle Hegarty, in front of the whole congregation as the pair went up to collect their award for the Best Individual International Press Advertisement.
As the eager creative extended his arm to pick up what McDonald would later call "McCann's first creative award in about 20 years", he was beaten to the punch by McDonald, who, in a move taken straight from the playground, nipped in front of him, grabbed the award and hid it behind his back.
He was later heard saying: "It's going to be a nightmare keeping this away from Mark all night."
However, the convivial spirit was not shared by everyone: three Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO tables filled the room with a cacophony of boos every time a rival agency's ad was mentioned in the same category as some of AMV's work.
It has also come to Diary's attention that two unnamed industry brawlers were involved in a scuffle outside the event that eventually ended with the police being called.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Digital Project Manager - Hugely Respected Digital Agency ADLIB £30000 - £45000 per annum, Oxford
- Digital Display Manager - Telecoms PFJ £30000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, London
- Account Director - Arts Clients PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- AV Account Director (contract) PFJ £35000.00 - £43000.00 per annum, London