Diageo turns to direct for Captain Morgan
By by Claire Billings, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 02 June 2006 07:00AM
LONDON - Diageo has pulled the UK ad account for Captain Morgan rum out of Grey London.
Diageo is now considering its options for the brand.
According to sources, it is considering spending more of its budget on direct marketing.
Grey picked up the £10m brief to launch Captain Morgan's Original Spice in the UK in 2003, seeing off the Diageo roster agencies Bartle Bogle Hegarty and JWT.
The win marked the first time the London office had worked for Diageo, which had previously worked with Grey Worldwide in New York. The Captain Morgan brand will continue to be handled by Grey in its other markets.
A Diageo spokeswoman said: "Grey London is not a retained agency. Because there is no advertising, there is no role for it at the present time."
Last year, Grey launched a print campaign for Morgan's Spiced Rum using the line: "Enjoy the contradiction." It aimed to increase the number of 21- to 30-year-old men and women consuming the drink.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Video Creative Solutions Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £40000 - £65000 per annum + +comm+bens, London
- Digital Account Manager: £37k - Fashion Brand Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum + Phone + Benefits, London
- Digital Account Manager: £37k - Mobile Phone Brand Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum + Phone and Benefits!, London
- Digital Planner Buyer - £28k - Big Budgets! Ultimate Asset £26000 - £28000 per annum + Benefits, London