Diageo turns to direct for Captain Morgan
By by Claire Billings, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 02 June 2006 07:00AM
LONDON - Diageo has pulled the UK ad account for Captain Morgan rum out of Grey London.
Diageo is now considering its options for the brand.
According to sources, it is considering spending more of its budget on direct marketing.
Grey picked up the £10m brief to launch Captain Morgan's Original Spice in the UK in 2003, seeing off the Diageo roster agencies Bartle Bogle Hegarty and JWT.
The win marked the first time the London office had worked for Diageo, which had previously worked with Grey Worldwide in New York. The Captain Morgan brand will continue to be handled by Grey in its other markets.
A Diageo spokeswoman said: "Grey London is not a retained agency. Because there is no advertising, there is no role for it at the present time."
Last year, Grey launched a print campaign for Morgan's Spiced Rum using the line: "Enjoy the contradiction." It aimed to increase the number of 21- to 30-year-old men and women consuming the drink.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Digital Account Handler - Fashion Retail - London - c£220a day Aquent c£230 aday, Greater London
- POS Designer/Artworker (Home Ents) become £35K, Central London
- B2B Online Marketing Executive - Mayfair or Surrey - £30K Adam Recruitment £30000 - £32000 per annum, London
- Creative Lead Dahling Ltd £65,000 - 75,000, Central London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- Halifax releases 'holiday dad' campaign