IPA Effectiveness Awards 2006: Silver Award - Branston Baked Beans
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 03 November 2006 12:00AM
Campaign title: The Great British Bean Poll
Client: Premier Foods
Agency: Delaney Lund Knox Warren & Partners
Author: Lisa Conway, Delaney Lund Knox Warren & Partners
Contributing Authors: Steven Gregory, Central Focus; Steve Marinker,
Citigate Dewe Rogerson; Rhona Hurcombe, Phipps Public Relations; Barbara
Holgate, The Big Kick Company
Media used: Print, PR, radio, sales promotion
IN A NUTSHELL: Within three months Branston replaced 85 per cent of the HP business by creating a new brand of baked beans worth in excess of £14 million
SUMMARY: This paper describes how taking on the brand leader changed consumer behaviour within a mature, static market in just three months. To cover the revenue shortfall of losing the HP Beans brand, Premier Foods were forced to launch a new brand of beans into a Heinz/own-label duopoly. They then developed "The Great British Bean Poll", a unique taste challenge in which 750,000 people took part, where 76 per cent voted Branston Beans as their favourite. Within three months, Branston replaced 85 per cent of the HP business by creating a new brand of baked beans worth in excess of £14 million and Heinz were considering changing their 100-year-old recipe.
JUDGE'S COMMENT: Branston Baked Beans came from a standing start to rival the brand leader. This excellent case study tracks this journey and shows how a single-minded, clear objective achieved so much in a short period of time. This is a good read and a great example of a brand extension using an existing brand.
- Alison Littley, former global marketing procurement director, Diageo.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Head of Agency Sales Ultimate Asset £60000 - £65000 per annum + +comm, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER @ BOUTIQUE MEDIA AGENCY - £40k! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus + benefits, London
- Major DSP, Dutch Country Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + + £35k comm, London
- Affiliate Executive - Huge Retail Client - Leading Media Agency Ultimate Asset £18000 - £20000 per annum, London