IPA Effectiveness Awards 2006: Silver Award - Best Read
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 03 November 2006 12:00AM
Campaign title: Felix: how continuity saved the cat
Client: Nestle Purina
Agency: DDB London
Authors: Georgia Challis and Barry Lustig, DDB London; Julia Wood, DDB
Contributing Authors: Les Binet, DDB Matrix; Sarah Carter, DDB London
Media used: TV, print, outdoor, interactive FM
IN A NUTSHELL: A minor brand on the verge of de-listing transformed into a mainstream brand with sales of more than £138 million a year.
SUMMARY: This paper is about the power of continuity in advertising. The long-standing Felix campaign came under pressure when sales slumped in 2000-2001. However, Felix stuck with its existing campaign through tough times to emerge stronger, more efficient and more effective than its better-funded rivals. By spending a mere £2.5 million per year over 16 years, the Felix campaign transformed a minor brand on the verge of de-listing into a mainstream brand with sales of more than £138 million a year. This paper demonstrates how long-running campaigns can be used effectively to introduce news and to introduce products into a different market sector. When things are not going well, the answer is not always to change the advertising.
JUDGE'S COMMENT: A real insight into the value of consistency. In a marketing environment where we change things so often, this is a paper that shows the rewards of a courageous, long-term campaign built around a strong creative and insightful idea. Consistency pays, this is a great long-term story, with interesting uses of channels and well laid-out metrics.
- Greg Nugent, marketing director, Eurostar.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Brand Leader - FMCG to £60k Network Career Consultants £55000 - £60000 per annum, Switzerland
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands