Euro snatches mobile ad deal
By James Hamilton, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 08 December 2006 12:00AM
A brand of interactive print and poster advertising which has taken the Japanese market by storm is set to launch in the UK.
The move follows a deal inked between Euro RSCG London and the software developer NeoMedia.
Under the terms of the deal, Euro RSCG will have an exclusive licence to use NeoMedia's qode sofware across a range of accounts. The agency will also co-market the software in the UK.
The software allows mobile phones to access mobile internet content by taking a picture of barcodes or "smart codes" - small, graphic designs on packaging that are linked to websites. Consumers can use their phones to view exclusive offers or take part in competitions. They can also purchase items such as tickets from events advertised on posters, leaflets or in newspapers.
Formerly known as paperclick, qode is especially popular in Japan, where analysts estimate up to 90 per cent of mobile phone owners have clicked on smart codes to access interactive content.
Currently, users must download the qode software before using the service. NeoMedia is understood to be in discussions with mobile phone manufacturers to pre-install the software on future handsets.
The Euro RSCG chief executive, Mark Cadman, said: "Qode gives us the opportunity to make our communications live beyond the media in which they appear and facilitates a new level of consumer engagement for advertising. It represents a great opportunity for us to make our advertising work even harder for clients. Harnessing the potential of digital media is a central focus for Euro RSCG London."
Last month, Euro hired Adam Roberts as a digital creative director to work across all of the agency's accounts. He will not produce digital campaigns for clients, but will advise creative teams on areas of their ads which would be suitable for digital elements.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London