Visa calls $400m media review
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 27 April 2007 12:00AM
Incumbents OMD and Mediaedge:cia will repitch following the credit-card's decision to consolidate.
Visa is reviewing its estimated $400 million global media planning and buying business with the intention of consolidating into one network.
The incumbents, OMD and Mediaedge:cia, will compete for the business, but it is unclear if rival networks will be invited to join the process.
OMD handles Visa's business in North America, which accounts for the vast bulk of Visa's global spend. It also handles the account in Asia, while Mediaedge:cia is responsible for the Visa Europe business, including the £5 million UK account.
John Elkins, Visa International's executive vice-president, global brand, marketing and corporate communications, is leading the process.
Visa has previously run a complicated corporate structure with Visa USA, Visa Canada, Visa Europe and Visa International all operating separately. However, it is in the process of simplifying this by creating one global corporation called Visa Inc. Some complications will remain because Visa Europe will stay as a membership association controlled by European member banks.
However, the changes have encouraged Visa to explore the benefits of media consolidation. It said when it announced the restructure last October that it would "combine the efficiencies of global scale with the recognition of Europe's unique business and economic environment".
Visa's creative agency arrangements are thought to be unaffected by the media review. Saatchi & Saatchi handles work across Europe, while TBWA\Chiat\Day is the incumbent in the US. Its European advertising has focused on the theme of "love every day" to persuade consumers to use their cards for everyday items as well as indulgences.
In addition to making greater use of online and print ads, Visa remains committed to its Olympic sponsorship programme and its spend is expected to increase in 2008 for the Beijing Olympics.
Elkins was unavailable for comment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Client Facing Project Manager Twist Recruitment £24000 - £27000 per annum + great benefits, City of London
- Midweight- senior Digital Project Manager Twist Recruitment £35000 - £55000 per annum + bonus, City of London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k (freelance & perm) Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- Digital Performance Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- IAB: ad is 'viewable' if half of it is seen for one second
- Powerade launches global World Cup campaign
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- We Are Pi wins Wrangler's European creative account
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers