Campaign Annual 2007: Top 10 Virals
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 14 December 2007 12:00AM
1. CADBURY 'GORILLA'
Launched during the final of Big Brother on TV, the Cadbury's gorilla from Fallon quickly found its way online. By YouTube views, this is the number-one viral of the year with more than five million. It has also inspired countless re-edited versions with other music tracks. Proof positive that a big offline, TV splash can be beautifully amplified online.
YouTube tag: Gorilla
2. SMIRNOFF 'GREEN TEA PARTAY'
Following up last year's "East Coast rap" for Smirnoff, here is the West Coast boys' reply. With JWT New York, Smirnoff has created one of the most successful virals in the past year with 3.4 million YouTube views.
YouTube tag: Smirnoff
3. RAY-BAN 'CATCH SUNGLASSES'
This is well worth the 90 seconds it takes to run. Made by Cutwater, one guy throws a pair of Ray-Bans at his mate who catches them on his face, from increasingly difficult positions. Is it funny? Well, 3.2 million viewers can't be wrong.
YouTube tag: Sunglasses
4. BLENDTEC 'WILL IT BLEND?'
The will it blend? virals have been an internet phenomenon with more than 20 million views for the various executions. "Will it blend? That is the question." Tom Dickson, the geeky chief executive of Blendtec, feeds anything and everything into his blender, including the Apple iPhone. The bizarre film has generated more than 2.7 million views on YouTube.
YouTube tag: Blendtec
5. LYNX/AXE 'BOM CHICKA WAH WAH'
The "bom chicka wah wah" girls from Bartle Bogle Hegarty launched in May and got Lynx/Axe 2.6 million YouTube views in this integrated campaign consisting of several clips and a music video. Interesting what excitement a few sexy girls can generate.
YouTube tag: Bom Chicka
6. WILKINSON 'FIGHT FOR KISSES'
Akama pitched a father against his baby to promote the Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium razors and blades. Launched in September and already has more than 2.4 million YouTube views.
YouTube tag: Wilkinson
7. QUIKSILVER 'DYNAMITE SURFING'
Saatchis Copenhagen created this viral for Quiksilver to show how a city river can be turned into a wave machine. Riotously funny, with 1.9 million views since it launched in February.
YouTube tag: Quiksilver
8. MENTOS AND CARLSBERG EXPERIMENT
Carlsberg didn't even make this viral for its own brand. Instead, someone else took the Mentos and Coca-Cola phenomenon of last year one step further. It has had 1.3 million YouTube views since July.
YouTube tag: Carlsberg
9. SNICKERS 'GET SOME NUTS'
This is the Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO Mr T television ad as a viral, but just as enjoyable. Launched in April, it got 1.3 million YouTube views.
YouTube tag: Get some nuts
10. DOVE 'CAMPAIGN FOR REAL BEAUTY, ONSLAUGHT'
Ogilvy Toronto created this viral about the dangers of the beauty industry for Dove. As a follow-up to its Cannes Grand Prix-winning "evolution", "onslaught" had a lot to live up to. It's certainly got people talking - and viewing. It has had more than one million YouTube views and even prompted counter-attacks by those deconstructing the message and pointing to brands owned by Unilever that allegedly contribute to the problem.
YouTube tag: Dove Onslaught
- Rankings supplied by GoViral, based on YouTube impressions.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- PR Manager (Dubai) The Little Black Book Agency £30000 - £35000 per annum + (15-17,000 AED / month), Dubai
- Media Planning Comms Manager Lipton Fleming £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Digital Marketing Executive,Travel Events, £26k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £24000 - £26000 per annum, Benefits: excellent benefits, London
- Marketing Manager - digitally focussed for Creativepool Creativepool Negotiable, Clerkenwell
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- Metro launches content agency