HP awards direct account to Publicis
By John Tylee, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 09 May 2008 12:00AM
Publicis has defied the odds by retaining HP's $200 million-plus direct marketing account across Europe and the Middle East.
The group won the assignment after a six-way pitch that included Omnicom's Proximity, WPP's Wunderman and Interpublic's DraftFCB.
The account includes below-the-line activity in more than 70 countries. Publicis senior executives claim it will extend the scope of the HP business the group currently handles.
The computer giant's decision will be a blow to Omnicom, which has been putting a huge effort into growing its share of HP business.
Publicis has a 12-year relationship with HP, but was usurped by Omnicom's Goodby, Silverstein & Partners as the lead global creative agency on the brand in January 2006.
Two weeks ago, Omnicom Group's BBDO cemented the tie by winning the $200 million global advertising account for HP's imaging and printing products from Publicis.
Richard Pinder, the Publicis chief operating officer, led its pitch for the DM account, which will be serviced by 20 "hub" offices, including London.
Publicis is believed to have clinched the deal by presenting HP with a new way of handling the business that would closely align network resources to HP's needs.
Pinder said: "HP is always looking for new ways of marketing its printing technology. To do this it needs high-quality agency people. HP is looking to us as its business partner."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Mid Weight UX Designer Daniel Marks London 40k, Central London
- Senior UX Architect Daniel Marks London 65k, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Consumer Brands! Royds Raphael £35k-£40k / £150-£220+ day rate depending on experience, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London