Culture secretary Andy Burnham - video interview
By Staff, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 17 September 2008 09:15AM
Culture secretary Andy Burnham has rejected a suggestion that the Government's new bursary scheme will leave many recipients disappointed - watch the video here.
In a video interview with Campaign, Burnham was asked about Government plans to provide 5,000 annual bursaries for students in the creative industry.
He denied that the scheme could flood the market with graduates without jobs to go to due to a limited number of openings at ad agencies.
He said: "The skills that you give people if they are encouraged to explore their creativity and their ability to express and present and to understand the power of images, sound, design and words, those are utterly transferable skills that will be good in any setting.
"Any business environment is looking at how people use their creative side.
"It is not a dead end that we are leading people into. Everyone will have to be au fait with these skills in the future."
Burnham was speaking to Campaign at an event to promote Creative Britain, an initiative launched earlier this year to promote the UK's creative industries.
Maurice Saatchi opened yesterday's event - view his speech here.
IPA president Moray MacLennan talks about the ad industry's relationship with Government.
Picture gallery from Creative Britain event
(l-r) Andy Burnham MP meets Moray MacLennan, IPA President and Europe chairman of M&C Saatchi, and Lord (Maurice) Saatchi
Andy Burnham MP addressing school children about creative
Andy Burnham MP mingling with the children after his speech
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Media Business Director PFJ £70000.00 - £90000 per annum, London
- PERFORMANCE PLANNING DIRECTOR - MOBILE BRAND! Ultimate Asset £45000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- CEO Gail Gallie departs Fallon
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Ex-M&S marketing chief Steven Sharp is consulting for WPP