Close-Up: 24 hours with ... Giles Hedger
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 07 November 2008 12:00AM
Name: Giles Hedger
Job: Chief strategy officer, Leo Burnett Group
Professional mission: Absolute perfection
Personal mantra: Only fools deal in absolutes
10.50pm I've accidentally watched the news all the way through to the weather forecast.
11.00pm Troubled dreams of financial apocalypse. We're queuing on the coast road and the Wild Bean Cafe has been looted.
6.15am Wake like a coiled spring. Resolve to take control.
6.20am Dominate the alarm clock by stuffing it into my pillow-case.
7.10am Scrape blueberry jam from cuff while performing a family canon of The Wheels on the Bus.
7.30am Drive to the gym.
7.45am Refuse to let Audi Man swim through me this time.
8.00am Sit wheezing in the steam room and plan my day.
8.40am Jon Burley is outside already. We discuss gangster movies.
9.30am Interview a media planner.
10.30am A visit from Chicago. We plan a meeting with Google and drink Diet Coke.
12.27pm Arrive in the canteen to find Paul Lawson circling the steak.
12.35pm Hilarious, inappropriate canter through the day's business.
1.15pm Visit Tesco on a whim. Realise just how close to the Cromwell Road we are.
2.00pm Interview a digital planner. Decide to outlaw the use of planning prefixes.
3.00pm Pitch run-through. Winning line; gorgeous work; lovely chemistry. Mine to lose.
4.04pm Wonder briefly what my man-bag is for.
4.05pm Notice that Jon Burley has one too.
5.00pm Talk to Andrew Edwards about 2009 budgets.
6.00pm Reduce my e-mail backlog by creating separate folders for everything.
6.30pm Go through tomorrow's diary with Kasia, my effervescent PA.
6.45pm Drive home. Acquire a new fact from Radio 4: Proust used a vanity publisher.
7.20pm Kiss my daughter goodnight; offer to cook.
8.00pm Invent something called Sweet 'n' Sour Biryani.
9.00pm Anna and I take to the sofa.
9.37pm Most ads really are very bad, aren't they?
10.45pm Chess. Hold the Mac to an unconvincing draw and fall asleep.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior Account Manager Dynamic New Alliances £30000.00 - £36000.00 per annum, City of London
- Junior Product Owner / Business Analyst - Mobile Digital Gurus £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, package etc, London
- Digital PM with CMS build exp Digital Gurus £40000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £17000 - £22000 Per Annum DOE, Wilmslow
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity