Nokia calls £300m review
By Anne Cassidy, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 05 March 2009 07:00AM
LONDON - Nokia has called a review of its global media planning and buying account, estimated to be worth £300 million.
The mobile handset manufacturer is inviting the main media networks to pitch for the account, which is currently held by MediaCom.
MediaCom manages the brand's account in Europe, Asia and the US. The network scooped the £85 million Asian portion of the Nokia media business in January 2006, wresting it from ZenithOptimedia, the previous ten-year incumbent, and adding it to its existing European and US responsibilities.
The media review follows a series of changes to Nokia's global ad arrangements as the company, along with the other major handset manufacturers, struggles to cope with a decline in mobile handset sales.
In November last year, Nokia appointed Wieden & Kennedy to the global ad account for its Nseries range, following a pitch against the incumbent, Lowe London.
W&K was named as the company's lead global creative agency in 2007, when JWT was appointed to handle global implementation.
Last month, Nokia split its global lead digital ad account between Aegis Group's Isobar and the US incumbent R/GA. Nokia had previously appointed digital agencies on a local basis, such as Work Club in the UK.
Nokia, which remains the number-one global handset manufacturer with 38.6 per cent of the market, is trying to diversify its product base.
Last month, it announced plans to launch an online software store to compete with Apple's App store. The store, called Ovi, allows consumers to download applications, as well as videos and music.
Nokia also launched Here and Now, a world news, music and celebrity site in January this year, to provide users with content for the first time.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London
- FABULOUS FREELANCERS? Look no further! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition
- iProspect appoints chief media officer among four senior hires
- Dove launches first cinema campaign with 'real beauty' sequel