Diary: CDP's reunion all set to be a story-fest
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 31 July 2009 12:00AM
Diary's mind is spinning at the thought of all the anecdotes being swapped at what's likely to be the agency reunion to top them all.
Next year will be the 50th anniversary of the founding of Collett Dickenson Pearce. And a couple of its former senior staffers are marking the occasion by bringing together every surviving staffer who ever worked at the place.
Some 200 have promised to be there - and up to 300 more are being tracked down.
Although CDP - soon to be rebranded as Dentsu London - opened its doors for business on All Fools' Day 1960, 15 April is the chosen date."Our work was always late," Mike Everett, a one-time CDP creative group head and one of the reunion organisers, tells us. "So a two-week delay is in the best CDP tradition."
Meanwhile, ex-staff will be invited to post their best tales on a website, as well as examples they have of CDP's work. Sadly, there's no comprehensive archive for the agency that proclaimed "Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet" or told drinkers "Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach".
And the stories? Well, there's hundreds. John Stuart, the former operations director, remembers the time Frank Lowe, then CDP's managing director, thought it wise not to fire a production man after learning he was related to the great train robber Ronnie Biggs.
Or when John O'Donnell (pictured), the creative director, was ordered to warn his staff about their behaviour after a security man caught one of them in flagrante delicto with a woman staffer. O'Donnell circulated a memo saying the more rumpy-pumpy the better, because it got the creative juices flowing.
For more details of the reunion, visit www.cdpcelebration.com.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Strategist Zebra People £300 - £400 per day, London (East), London (Greater)
- Account Manager - Integrated - £28-32K Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent agency benefits , London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account