In association with
Tango 'St George' by Henry Howell Chaldecott Lury
By John Tylee, Campaign Work, Tuesday, 03 September 1996 02:25PM
No commercial was more representative of HHCL at its irreverent and refreshingly different prime than the "St George" spot for Blackcurrent Tango.
The agency always argued that to produce anything distinctive you had to challenge convention – and St George certainly did that. Indeed, it will go down as one of the funniest UK commercials of all time with its superb script, music and performances.
It star is Ray Gardner, senior sales executive for Blackcurrent Tango, who works himself into a frenzy on being told that a French exchange student, Sebastian Lois (all hair gel and fancy loafers) doesn’t enjoy the drink’s flavour.
Shot as a continuous sequence, the action moves from Tango’s head office to the White Cliffs of Dover where Gardner challenges the world to a boxing match.
This article was first published on Campaign Work
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Metro launches content agency