Diary: On the QT ..
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 28 August 2009 12:00AM
The year was 1944. Outside the Bedford Corn Exchange, an eager young future creative director called David Bernstein stood with autograph book in hand.
His target was someone who'd also moved out to Bedford with his American Band of the AEF to escape Hitler's bombs - Major Glenn Miller, the most famous bandleader of all time. Now aged 80, Bernstein, who founded The Creative Business, will be getting "in the mood" again next week when he helps host a reunion at Bedford's Swan Hotel for those who, like him, were evacuated to Bedford from Dame Alice Owen's School in Islington in September 1939 ...
Mike Bond, a creative at Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, has decided to follow in the flippers of stars such as David Walliams and James Cracknell by swimming the English Channel. The bold adventurer will be joined by some hardy mates including Nick Glendinning, a producer at Blink, John Offenbach, a photographer, and Tom Merilion, a director at Serious Pictures. They are doing it to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund ...
Staying with charity, we bring you news of Sheena Matheiken, a planner from Digitas in the US who has embarked on a project that will see her wear the same dress every day for a year in a bid to promote sustainable fashion and raise money for the Akanksha Foundation, which helps fund uniforms and other educational expenses for children living in Indian slums. Each day she changes her look by customising the dress and adding different accessories. You can catch up with her progress and donate at theuniformproject.com ...
A message arrives on screen from Fi Dinh (yes, really) from the GOL Group asking if Campaign would be interested in running a feature on waste management in blocks of flats. A selection of pictures of assorted rubbish tips are attached. Cheers, Fi, but we have quite enough adland crap to sift, thank you very much.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - Retail / Leisure Adam Recruitment £28000 - £33000 per annum, Wilmslow
- Senior UX/IA Mobile Designer - 3 Month Contract - London Network Career Consultants £300 - £350 per day, London
- Qual AD Major Players £35000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Lead Developer AF Selection £30,000 - £32,000, Leicestershire
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- Halifax releases 'holiday dad' campaign