In association with
Maynards Wine Gums 'hoots mon' by BMP DDB Needham
Campaign Work, Sunday, 18 September 1994 09:04AM
The Maynards Wine Gums TV spot that implored sweet-toothed consumers to "set the juice loose" has never strayed far from the collective memory.
Indeed, such is the commercial’s lingering popularity that Cadbury Trebor Bassett put it back on air in the spring of last year – 17 years after BMP DDB created it.
The film featured every imaginable Scottish cliché – from a manic kilted highlander to a mounted moose head and a set of animated bagpipes.
The contrived mayhem was perfectly complemented by the soundtrack, an adaptation of There’s A Moose Loose About This Hoose, an unlikely number one 1958 hit for Lord Rockingham’s XI, a group of British session musicians.
Cadbury chose to bring the spot out of retirement after what it claimed was an eager response to it when it was shown to consumer groups.
The company said it hoped the revival would not only pull in new purchasers but jog the memories of those who saw the ad first time around.
Earlier this year, Phil Rumbol, the Cadbury UK marketing chief, said that dusting off old spots like Maynard Wine Gums helped boost Cadbury sales across the board, enabling the company to invest in more strategic initiatives.
This article was first published on Campaign Work
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Account Manager Purple Consultancy £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £32000 - £36000 per annum, London
- Midweight Designers - branding and packaging Gabriele Skelton £25000 - £35000 per annum, London
- SENIOR COPYWRITER Live Recruitment £40000 - £negotiable per annum + Benefits, Middlesex