The APG Creative Strategy Awards Shortlist 2009: Kent County Council
By Craig Mawdsley, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 11 September 2009 12:00AM
Planned by: James Joice
Agency: M&C Saatchi
Brand: Kent County Council
So often we think about message first and media second. This case reminds us of the old adage that, often, the media can be the message.
The problem Kent County Council faced was how to discourage teenagers from doing all the things they enjoy, but the rest of us are so worried about - unprotected sex, drinking, drugs and smoking. Advertising about these issues proliferated at national level and it was unlikely that local versions would add much.
While digital would have been an obvious answer, the team went further taking insights from the world of online, but then applying them in the real world. The solution was built around creating a place where teenagers felt happy to talk. Disused high-street shops were converted into portals, designed by teenagers to resemble "a mate's house" and branded "house". Hundreds of teenagers have benefited.
While on a small scale, this paper transcended public sector or not-for-profit categories to stand out as a simply outstanding idea, whatever the client and whatever the problem. Imaginative and effective channel thinking like this is rare and precious.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Marketing Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, London
- Marketing Executive Ninesharp £25000 - £27000 per annum, Southampton
- Senior Sales Execuitve - Ad Technology Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus and benefits , London
- Sales Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- Metro launches content agency