In association with
Sainsbury's 'celebrity recipes' by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
Campaign Work, Wednesday, 06 October 1993 11:05AM
If there's one campaign that marked the turning point in the transformation of Sainsbury's from a cheap downmarket chain to the grocer of the middle classes, the celebrity recipe series from the early 90s was surely it.
Created by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, the work had a painful birth. Creatives across the agency had tried and failed to crack the brief and it fell to David Abbott, AMV’s legendary creative leader, to craft the solution.
The result was a series of ads showing celebrities – Felicity Kendal, Zoe Wanamaker, Juiie Walters and the former Labour chancellor Denis Healey among them – making their favourite recipes using fresh products from Sainsbury’s.
So successful was the campaign that stores often sold out of the items featured in a commercial the day after it went on air.
This article was first published on Campaign Work
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Account Director Twist Recruitment £50000.00 - £55000.00 per annum + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Brand Manager - Drinks Trace c. £58k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West)...
- Senior International Agency Sales Manager - Mobile Salt £70000 per annum + strong bonus and great bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Consumer Tech Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Yahoo hosts exclusive X-Men: Days of Future Past films