Barclaycard 'spy' by BMP
By John Tylee, Campaign Work, Saturday, 29 October 1994 03:07PM
Not many movie characters owe their origins to an ad campaign.
One exception is Johnny English, Rowan Atkinson’s bumbling secret agent who began life as the equally inept Richard Latham in a series of ads for Barclaycard.
Acknowledged as one of the funniest ever campaigns, the BMP campaign features Latham as the ultimate Barclaycard sceptic, always dismissive about its usefulness.
It’s left to Bough, his assistant, to demonstrate its benefits and get his boss out of a series of tricky situations.
The campaign helped Barclaycard reverse a declining market share and achieve brand leadership.
This article was first published on Campaign Work
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Brand Consultant / Strategist Royds Raphael £80k-£90k+neg dep. on experience, London
- Senior Account Manager - Account Manager - Branding, Contract & Permanent Royds Raphael £38k-£44k / £170-£190 day rate. Permanent and/or contract role, London
- Head of Lead Generation - Full-Service Agency Silverdrum to £60,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Midlands