Barclaycard 'spy' by BMP
By John Tylee, Campaign Work, Saturday, 29 October 1994 03:07PM
Not many movie characters owe their origins to an ad campaign.
One exception is Johnny English, Rowan Atkinson’s bumbling secret agent who began life as the equally inept Richard Latham in a series of ads for Barclaycard.
Acknowledged as one of the funniest ever campaigns, the BMP campaign features Latham as the ultimate Barclaycard sceptic, always dismissive about its usefulness.
It’s left to Bough, his assistant, to demonstrate its benefits and get his boss out of a series of tricky situations.
The campaign helped Barclaycard reverse a declining market share and achieve brand leadership.
This article was first published on Campaign Work
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Middleweight Artworker become £32K, London
- International Assistant Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £28,000 per annum, South East
- PR and Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London