Y&R remains top of agency league
By Anne Cassidy, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 14 January 2010 06:00AM
LONDON - The UK marketing services sector remains profitable and well-run despite the impact of the recession, according to Kingston Smith W1's annual survey on financial performance, which will be published in Campaign next week.
Young & Rubicam again leads the table as the largest advertising agency, though it showed a loss in operating profit and gross income.
M&C Saatchi Group, headed by David Kershaw, remains in second place, reporting gross income up by more than 19 per cent.
New entries to the top 50 advertising agencies list this year include Nitro, Story and Bastin Day Westley.
Digital Marketing Group is still the largest digital business, Aegis Media keeps its place as the largest media outfit, and Gyro beat Proximity to become the biggest direct marketing/sales promotion specialist, with Proximity dropping to second place.
WPP is by far the largest UK-listed group, according to the survey. Sir Martin Sorrell again earned the most at the listed groups, taking home £3.54m (slightly less than last year's £3.97m).
The highest-paid director at an independent agency took home £1.58m at Checkland Kindleysides.
Of the top 50 ad agencies, 48 posted an operating profit, compared with 45 last year. Thirty of that 48 managed an increase in operating profit, with Grey and JWT showing the biggest rises.
The results in the survey come mostly from 2008, before the full impact of the recession was felt. For the full tables and analysis, see next week's issue of Campaign.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Head of Marketing Blemain Group Competitive plus bonus and benefits, North West
- Digital Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London
- Digital Marketing Analyst Better Placed Recruitment £45000 - £55000 per annum, East London
- Global Head of Studio and Production Creative Recruitment £65000 - £80000 per annum + Pro Rata, City of London