British Gas ad banned over misleading efficiency claims
By John Reynolds, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 28 April 2010 09:10AM
LONDON - A British Gas TV ad has been banned after viewers disputed claims made about the efficiency of the company's service.
The ad, created by CHI, has been banned by the Advertising Standards Authority today (28 April) after attracting 11 complaints.
The TV animated ad revealed a domestic situation – featuring a family coming and going – which is crudely interrupted when a voiceover states: "Oh, the boiler's not working".
A British Gas van appears and a man walks from it into the house as the voiceover continues: "Sometimes you need a little help there". Then the sound of gas ignition is heard, followed by a cheer from the family.
The voiceover adds: "Which is why you can reach us every day. Even over Christmas".
Finally, a Christmas scene appears and the voiceover says: "Look after your world this Christmas with British Gas".
Those who complained questioned whether British Gas would carry out repairs on the same day, particularly over the Christmas period.
In its defence, British Gas said it did not believe the ad stated, either explicitly or implicitly, that it would attend call-outs and carry out repairs on the same day, particularly over the Christmas period.
It added that the voiceover clearly stated "which is why you can reach us every day, even over Christmas", and said it never intended to advertise its speed of response.
The aim of the ad was said to demonstrate the efficiency of its call centre service and that its high-level of service did not fall over the Christmas period.
Furthermore, British Gas said that Clearcast did not think the ad was misleading over its efficiency claims.
The ASA concluded otherwise and judged that the ad implied a same-day call-out service that formed part of the British Gas package and was likely to mislead.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Creative Director - Doha, Qatar (Tax free salary) MCG Associates Tax Free Salary, Doha, Qatar
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £65,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Outstanding FMCG Marketing Manager GoodEgg Digital £70k + Terrific benefits, M4 Corridor/Slough, Berks
- Social Media Coordinator- Freelance Creative Recruitment negotiable, City of London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'
- 'We will always love M&S' says Walker Media in goodbye statement