Marketing has embraced (or throttled if you’d prefer) the spirit of All Hallows’ and, in conjunction with the creepy talents of Unruly, has compiled a top 15 of the world’s scariest ads and marketing stunts of recent, and not so recent, years.
Unruly and Marketing have ranked the ads on the basis of their number of all-time shares, while the selection is also slightly subjective - otherwise there would have been a few too many zombies, and as much as we love the undead, they can get a bit tedious with all that moaning and shuffling.
While some of the following spots are scary, some silly, some inadvertently rather than intentionally creepy (step forward Ronald McDonald with a tray stuck to his head); others are gory and a couple are just downright grim.
You have been warned.
So grab a cushion, a spare pair of pants, and enjoy our list of the 15 most-shared scary ads.
1. Carrie - Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise
2. LG - So Real, it’s Scary
3. Dead Island - Official Announcement Trailer
4. Dirt Devil - The Exorcist
5. Snickers - Halloween Grocery Store Lady
6. Remco - Baby Laugh-a-lot
7. Phones4u - Little Girl
8. Autoway - Scary Japanese ad
9. Axe - Hot Girl vs Zombie
10. K-fee - Ghost Car
11. PlayStation 3 - Baby
12. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Zombie Labs Rezurrection
13. McDonald’s - Ronald McDonald’s ad debut
14. Metz - Judderman
15. Mini USA - Ahhhhhhhh!