Last week, Brand Republic published the top 50 UK marketing and advertising Klout influencers on social media.
Within moments, people were questioning how meaningful Klout rankings were, including someone who was included on the list.
While many questioned Klout, Lissted , a social listening tool which latest offering is currently in beta and analyses communities, published an alternative list on their blog (reproduced with permission, below). There was crossover between the list, but not much – only eight out of 50.
Founder and "head data chef" Adam Parker explained the impetus for the service came from a chapter he wrote on social influence for the Chartered Institute of Public Relations' book from 2013, Share This Too.
The problem, Parker thought, was that current measures of influence primarily focused on noise – such as reach, volume of posts and engagement metrics like retweets – but didn't examine who was listening to this noise and how relevant and influential they are off of social media.
Lissted's difference, Parker says, is two-fold. Firstly Lissted has built a database of nearly two million Twitter accounts that, based on its machine learning, it claims are more likely to be related to real world influencers.
To identify influencers in a community it then looks at the relationships – who follows who – and interactions with other members of a specific group within this list.
To generate Lissted's rankings, the algorithm took into account 25,000 accounts and 15 million relationships, as well as interactions between these accounts.
Parker said: "We would argue that's a better measure of who has the true potential for influence."
Here are Lissted's rankings. We've linked the names people who are on both lists to their place on the Klout list, and taken job titles from individual's LinkedIn pages.
- Stephen Waddington (8), @wadds, partner and chief engagement officer, Ketchum
- Jeremy Waite (38), @jeremywaite, head of digital strategy, EMEA, @Salesforce Marketing Cloud
- Bruce Daisley, @brucedaisley, UK managing director and VP Europe, Twitter
- Gordon MacMillan, @gordonmacmillan, editorial manager, Twitter
- Rory Sutherland (42), @rorysutherland, vice chairman, Ogilvy Group UK
- Vikki Chowney, @vikkichowney, director of content & publishing strategies, H+K Strategies
- Justin Pearse, @justinpearse, managing director and editorial director, The Drum Works
- Dan Barker, @danbarker, e-business consultant
- Andy Barr, @10Yetis, owner, 10Yetis
- Kelvin Newman, @kelvinnewman; founder, BrightonSEO; founder and managing director, Rough Agenda; marketing director, SiteVisibility.
- James Whatley, @Whatleydude, digital director, Ogilvy & Mather
- Charlotte McEleny, @charlottemc, digital editor, Marketing Magazine
- Andrew Bloch, @AndrewBloch, group managing director and founder, Frank PR
- Dr Dave Chaffey (1), @DaveChaffey, CEO, Smart Insights
- Drew Benvie, @drewb, founder, Battenhall
- Andrew Grill, @AndrewGrill, global managing partner, IBM Social Consulting
- Arif Durrani, @DurraniMix; current: editor, Media Week and media editor, Campaign; future: commercial editor, EMEA, Bloomberg Media
- Katy Howell, @katyhowell, CEO and social media strategist, immediate future
- Neville Hobson (47), @jangles, business communicator, blogger, podcaster
- Matt Rhodes, @mattrhodes, digital strategy director, WCRS
- Rich Leigh, @RichLeighPR, founder and director, Rich Leigh & Company
- Mat Morrison, @mediaczar, owner, Mediaczar
- Paul Frampton (31), @Paul_Framp; CEO, Havas Media; group managing director, Havas Media Group UK
- Katie Moffat, @katiemoffat, digital marketing and social media consultant
- Joanna Geary, @JoannaUK, head of UK news & government partnerships, Twitter
- Tony Wood, @xfactorcomms, founder and managing director, X Factor Communications Ltd
- Lara O'Reilly (46), @larakiara, global advertising editor, Business Insider
- Stephen Lepitak, @StephenLepitak, editor, The Drum
- Chris Lake, @lakey, vice president of inbound marketing, DueDil
- Dave Trott, @davetrott, creative director and Campaign columnist
- Mark Borkowski, @MarkBorkowski, CEO, Borkowski
- Will McInnes, @willmcinnes, CMO, Brandwatch
- Graham Charlton, @gcharlton, editor in chief, Econsultancy
- Sophie Brendel, @sophiebr, head of digital communications at BBC
- Rob Brown, @robbrown, managing partner, Rule 5
- Neil Perkin, @neilperkin, founder, Only Dead Fish
- Danny Whatmough, @DannyWhatmough, head of social, EMEA at Weber Shandwick
- Nicola Kemp, @nickykc, head of features, Marketing Magazine
- Danny Rogers, @dannyrogers2001, editor-in-chief, PRWeek
- Rachel Miller, @AllthingsIC, founder, All Things IC
- Paul Sutton, @ThePaulSutton, independent social and digital media consultant
- Steve Ward, @CloudNineRec, founder and managing director, CloudNine
- Stuart Bruce (39), @stuartbruce, international PR adviser and trainer, Stuart Bruce Associates
- Scott Dylan, @scottdylan: managing director, We Are AD; managing director, Fluid Creativity
- Max Tatton-Brown, @MaxTB, founding director, Augur
- Kevin Gibbons, @kevgibbo, managing director, BlueGlass
- Kate Magee, @katemagee, associate editor, Campaign
- Andrew Girdwood, @AndrewGirdwood, media innovations director, DigitasLBi
- Sue Llewellyn, @suellewellyn, co-founder, Ultra Social
- Andrew Bruce Smith, @andismit: director, escherman; non-executive partner, Meanwhile...