Twitter adds former News Corp president Chernin to board
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Friday, 16 November 2012 11:51AM
Twitter has appointed media mogul and former News Corporation president Peter Chernin to its board as it seeks to strengthen its media and entertainment ties.
The micro-blogging platform announced Chernin's appointment via a tweet yesterday.
Chernin replaces former Twitter board member Mike McCue, chief executive and co-founder of personalised media app Flipboard.
The appointment comes as Twitter aims to boost ad sales of the platform and to explore media partnerships. Rather than compete with other media, Twitter maintains it works as a companion service.
Chernin joined News Corporation in 1989 and served as president and chief operating officer between 1996 and 2009. He helped launched US TV service Hulu and runs the film and TV production company Chernin Entertainment.
He also holds a board position at US digital music service Pandora.
Earlier this week, Chernin invested more than $10m (£6.3m) in Base79, the UK online video company that says it is YouTube's largest original programming partner in Europe.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Graphic Designer Â– Product & Packaging Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £30000 per annum, Manchester
- Client Planner AF Selection £30,000 - £35,000, Birmingham, West Midlands
- Press Production Executive AF Selection £20,000 - £22,000, Birmingham, West Midlands
- Digital Specialist - Client-Side Travel Brand - PPC / SEO Ultimate Asset £30000 - £50000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, City of London
- Tetley launches ad with Tea Folk in middle of medieval battle
- HSBC uses emotive ad to relaunch bank account on Christmas Day
- Virgin Holidays encourages customers to 'flaunt it' in Christmas Day ad
- Top 10 most-viewed The Work
- 'Creative' RFI requests are getting out of control
- US holiday campaign round-up 2014