AKQA expands to Portland to be closer to Nike
By Sarah Shearman, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 02 October 2012 12:10PM
AKQA is expanding its presence in the US after its acquisition by WPP, with the launch of two new offices including Portland, Oregon, allowing it to be closer to the headquarters of long-standing client Nike.
The primary reason for opening the office in Portland is to better service Nike, which the agency has worked with for more than 12 years. It will also be closer to the Portland headquarters of Nike’s creative agency, Wieden & Kennedy.
Through its Atlanta office it will be able to better service nearby clients such as The Coca-Cola Company, Turner Broadcasting, Delta Airlines and Coca-Cola, as well as Verizon Wireless, which has a big presence in the region.
The offices will employ around a dozen staff each and they are recruiting.
As well as better servicing clients, the agency claims the expansion is part of a strategy to tap the "talent pool" in the cities.
Plans for the new offices were in place before the agency was acquired by network giant WPP for $540m (£348m), in July.
According to Tom Bedecarre, chairman of AKQA, the business is expanding to "enhance our ability to make new connections and deliver solution for clients globally."
He added that the opening of its new offices represented its "commitment to a rich technology ecosystem and talent pool".
AKQA was founded in London in 1995 and now has 10 offices globally. The two new offices in the US add to San Francisco, Washington DC and New York.
In January, AKQA opened in Paris to better service Nike.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Partnerships Manager Sky Negotiable, West London
- Business Development Director/Manager - Experiential / Event led agency Spectrum £50,000 - £90,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager / Strategist - FMCG Shopper Marketing Promotions Digital Adv. Direct/CRM Exp Spectrum £30,000 - £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Junior Designer - Brand Experience Agency Bamboo Crowd £19k - £24k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Officer Communications Ofqual £31,000 to £36,000, Coventry, West Midlands
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- UK agencies win 7 Media Lions
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy