Diary: HAT steps back in time
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 01 October 2010 12:00AM
Adland went back in time last week to its TV origins. The big bang, in UK advertising terms, happened in 1955 (22 September to be exact) when the first ad was aired on ITV.
It was for Gibbs SR toothpaste and was shown once again at a HAT presentation last week. Diary was tickled to learn that in the audience was the man behind the ad, Brian Palmer, now 80. He was a 26-year-old copywriter with Young & Rubicam at the time he wrote and produced the ad.
Palmer also once featured in a Gibbs poster, as it wasn't unusual in those days for the creator of the ad to model the product. Unthinkable today, of course, although Diary would pay to see Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R's Mark Roalfe make an appearance in an ad for Marks & Spencer.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- PR Account Director Brand Recruitment £50000 per annum, Cambridge
- Strategy Lead MCG Associates Attractive Tax Free Salary, New York (State) (US)
- Account Executive AF Selection £18,000 - £22,000, Warwickshire
- Senior Sales Executive- Fashion & Beauty Video Ultimate Asset £27000 - £35000 per annum + commission and benefits , City of London