We'll Call You: Marks & Spencer
marketingmagazine.co.uk, Thursday, 23 February 2012 11:00AM
The retailer's Valentine's Day £20 dine in for two deal gave Mole a chance to be romantic without expending great effort or thought, but disaster struck on the day ...
Marks & Spencer Good afternoon, you're through to Marks & Spencer.
Mktg Hi, I've been struggling to get hold of the food advertised in your Valentine's Day deal. I've been to a couple of stores, but it all seems to be sold out.
M&S When were you in-store?
Mktg I went into the Hammersmith store today, hoping to get the steak and chips, but there is none left, or any desserts. I also got my girlfriend to go to the Oxford Street store and it was all sold out. Has there been a problem with deliveries?
M&S There may be something (happening) in the London area, but I'm sure I would have been told.
Mktg One of the workers in the store mentioned something to do with a buying problem, is that the case?
M&S I can contact the store and find out. On heavy days like this we often have a couple of deliveries in a day, so I would expect stock to be available, but demand has been pretty heavy.
Mktg I've left it until today because I wanted it to be fresh.
M&S We do get stuff in every day, to make sure it is fresh. I'm happy to contact the store.
Mktg It is getting quite late now. Does the deal end today?
M&S It does, yes.
Mktg What are the other store options around here?
M&S (Lists local stores.)
Mktg I don't suppose there is any way you can tell me if any of those stores have stock in?
M&S What I can tell is how much they got in, but not what is left on-shelf. I'm happy to ring them.
Mktg No, could you give me the number to ring them?
M&S (Reads phone numbers.)
Mktg Thanks very much for helping with that.
VERDICT: 5 out of 10
The call-handler was polite throughout, but it was frustrating that he was unable to provide information on which stores still had stock on shelves. A glance at Twitter showed that many consumers were similarly annoyed about this issue, so it was poor customer service for the call-handler to be unaware of the problem.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- We'll Call You - EDF Energy
- M&S multichannel trial will 'feed acceleration of mobile selling'
- M&S brings discount Outlet offering online
- Supermarkets court brand advocates via social media
- We'll Call You: TripAdvisor
- M&S brings Valentine's Day model to life
- BT broadcasts Valentine's messages to the nation
- Motion Designer Premier Media Plus Benefits, Central London
- Digital Marketing Executive Better Placed Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum + Benfits, Leeds
- Email Campaign Manager Brand Recruitment £25000 - £35000 per annum, Cambridge
- Marketing Executive - Email & Retention (1 year contract) Brand Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum + per annum + excellent benefits, Sleaford
- Digital Account Manager Dot-Gap £30k, Central London
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- LMFM challenges bakers to be Brave on World Baking Day
- Samsung strikes placement deal with The Wanted
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
- Campaign Viral Chart: Samsung scores hat-trick in tech-heavy chart
30 Seconds to Mars stratospheric rise on social media
In the week that it was shown that users only visited the planet Google+ for less than 7 minutes a month it’s interesting to look at how a contemporary rock artist brand goes about using social media in their marketing and the different levels of interest on different platforms.