Ken Livingstone denies tax evasion allegations...
By Rebecca Burn-Callander, managementtoday.co.uk, Monday, 12 March 2012 09:30AM
Quote of the day: 'I am not offshore. I am running a small company, just like hundreds of thousands of people. It's a smear campaign currently being run.' Mayoral candidate Ken Livingstone has had a rather irksome weekend. A national newspaper has revealed that his earnings (from broadcasting, speaking engagements etc) are funneled into a holding company, Silveta. This effectively bypasses the 59% income tax rate, plumping for 20% corporation tax instead. Livingstone has been left red-faced over the fiasco, given his former comments on taxation: '[We should] sweep away tax scams and everybody should pay tax at the same rate on earnings and other income.'
And Red Ken's defence? To tar rival Boris Johnson with the same brush, of course: 'The simple fact is, and the hypocrisy of all this, is Boris Johnson has exactly the same arrangements to handle his earnings from television. Almost everybody in the media, who is not employed directly, has exactly the same arrangements,' he blustered.
This article was first published on managementtoday.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Artworker (Corporate Communications, Annual Reports) Creative Recruitment £32000 per annum, London
- Pricing Analyst Ninesharp negotiable, Walsall
- Senior customer & Market Intelligence Manager Ninesharp negotiable, Walsall
- Product Manager Ninesharp negotiable, Walsall
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show