Barclays 'being very coy' about Libor staff, says judge
By Michael Northcott, managementtoday.co.uk, Tuesday, 30 October 2012 12:15PM
A high court judge has raised the question of how much Bob Diamond knew about Libor rigging, and accused the bank of being coy in identifying who was responsible.
Mr Justice Flaux said in a preliminary hearing: ‘There is obviously a question as to what Mr Diamond knew and when he knew it.’ He told Adrian Beltrami, the QC representing Barclays: ‘Your client knows who it is who is responsible for all this – they must do.
‘This is all shadowboxing. Your client knows jolly well what this is being alleged. The real issue is that they are trying to shut it out at this stage because they don’t like it. What they’re trying to do is shut it out altogether.’
Flaux said that unless the staff involved are named by the bank and go into the witness box, the court would make inferences according to the evidence. Presumably this means summoning people to testify, whether the bank volunteers them or not.
If Barclays does end up being taken to task over interest rate fixing, Bob Diamond and other senior executives could be forced to give evidence anyway. There will no doubt be some nervous characters walking the corridors of Barclays towers after these comments…
This article was first published on managementtoday.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- Senior Strategist - CRM & Digital - c£70K - London digital advertising agency Ramsden Road c£70K plus bens and bonus, London (Greater)
- Direct Marketing & Social Media Manager FMCG Connect £30,000 - £35,000 plus bonus and excellent benefits, Newark, Nottinghamshire
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Networking is never easier than in the queue for the toilet
- MEC appoints first head of programmatic strategy
- Blinkx losses sound alarm bells for those in online advertising
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot