Business Development Manager - England Rugby
Nature and Scope:
The Business Development Manager will support the Senior Business Development Manager and Chief Commercial Officer in securing new commercial partnerships for England Rugby to help maximise the organisation’s commercial revenue and promotion of the game in the lead up to the 2019 Rugby World Cup and beyond. The majority of these partnership will be sponsorship but could be other revenue generating initiatives and joint ventures that are aligned with the 2017-2022 Strategic Plan.
- Insight & Data – Undertaking desk based research into potential partnership categories and other revenue generating business models.
- Research Analysis –The management of the RFU’s current commercial partnership research agency as well as the commissioning of new research reports to provide robust data and analysis to support the business case for RFU partnership.
- CRM Management –Management and evolution of a leads and opportunities customer relationship management system. Maintaining accurate records of all sales and business development contacts and activities.
- Sales - Developing leads, securing meetings and building relationships with prospective partners at senior levels through outbound approaches, existing RFU corporate relationships and generally building an industry network and profile.
- Building a Business Case – Development of the RFU’s partnership narrative incorporating core belief/purpose, unique selling point and commercial assets and properties to help secure new commercial partners to the organisation.
- Presentation Materials – Development of bespoke and tailored partnership proposals and presentations to suit the needs of individual companies.
- Contractual Process – Support the Senior Business Development Manager in closing partnership deals including negotiation of commercial terms and working alongside the RFU’s legal team to conclude contractual agreements.
- Asset Development – working with the Commercial Team and collaborating with other departments at the RFU (including Marketing, Rugby Development and Stadium) to create and evolve valuable assets that generate revenue and help grow the Game.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Proven track record of building valuable commercial relationships and the ability to influence and sell new concepts at a senior level.
- Significant experience of sourcing and closing high value commercial deals and overseeing a transactional process.
- Proven track record in the utilisation of a CRM system to help deliver against specific business objectives.
- Credible experience of effectively commissioning, utilising and analysing research and insight data to develop lead generation.
- Good knowledge and understanding of sponsorship and sports marketing industry (helpful but not essential).
- Educated to degree standard or equivalent, preferably in a relevant academic discipline.
- A background within a business consultancy and/or professional services company would be considered a distinct advantage.