Absolute Radio and Absolut vodka settle trademark dispute
LONDON - The owners of Absolute Radio have settled an 18-month legal dispute with the owner of the Swedish vodka brand Absolut, which sued the radio station for infringement of copyright.
TIML Radio Limited, owners of the Absolute Radio brand, and V&S Vin&Spirit, the owner of Absolut, have now reached an agreement on the issue.
The terms of the settlement are confidential but allow Absolute Radio and Absolut vodka to continue to trade using their existing names.
Clive Dickens, chief operating officer of Absolute Radio, said: "Absolute Radio is pleased with this settlement which will see us continue to build our music radio brand and advance our position as one of the leading commercial radio networks in a digital age."
V&S Vin&Spirit, the owner of Absolut, issued a write against Absolute Radio for trademark infringement in October 2008, following the rebrand of Virgin Radio as Absolute in September that year.
V&S Vin&Spirit claimed that consumers could be confused over the similar names and that Absolute Radio could be detrimental to the Absolut vodka brand.
Paula Eriksson, vice-president of corporate communications at V&S, said: "I am pleased with the outcome of this matter which will enable us to continue to develop the iconic Absolut brand without risk of confusion to the public."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Head of Marketing, Beauty Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £60000 - £100000 per annum, London
- Client Services/ Head of Commercial/ Business Development Premier Media £45000 - £55000 per annum + up to 20% bonus, London
- Digital Producer - Games Digital Gurus £35000 - £45000 Per Annum, London
- Sales and Marketing Manager Stopgap £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Head of SEO Ultimate Asset £50000 - £65000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- ASA receives 240 complaints about Sainsbury's Christmas ad
- John Lewis Christmas ad gets three times more views than Sainsbury's in first 24 hours
- Watch: The Post Office's first Christmas TV campaign in five years
- Watch: Ant and Dec star in Morrisons' festive campaign
- DigitasLBi is on hunt for new media leader as Ling exits
- Samsung launches first Christmas TV campaign in the UK