Absolute Radio and Absolut vodka settle trademark dispute
LONDON - The owners of Absolute Radio have settled an 18-month legal dispute with the owner of the Swedish vodka brand Absolut, which sued the radio station for infringement of copyright.
TIML Radio Limited, owners of the Absolute Radio brand, and V&S Vin&Spirit, the owner of Absolut, have now reached an agreement on the issue.
The terms of the settlement are confidential but allow Absolute Radio and Absolut vodka to continue to trade using their existing names.
Clive Dickens, chief operating officer of Absolute Radio, said: "Absolute Radio is pleased with this settlement which will see us continue to build our music radio brand and advance our position as one of the leading commercial radio networks in a digital age."
V&S Vin&Spirit, the owner of Absolut, issued a write against Absolute Radio for trademark infringement in October 2008, following the rebrand of Virgin Radio as Absolute in September that year.
V&S Vin&Spirit claimed that consumers could be confused over the similar names and that Absolute Radio could be detrimental to the Absolut vodka brand.
Paula Eriksson, vice-president of corporate communications at V&S, said: "I am pleased with the outcome of this matter which will enable us to continue to develop the iconic Absolut brand without risk of confusion to the public."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Creative Strategist- £65k - Well known FMCG Brands Gemini Search £65000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, West Midlands
- Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 per annum, London (Greater)
- Email Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £35,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Macmillan defends hijacking ice bucket challenge
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- Uncle Ben's launches YouTube cooking show