Warburtons shelves plans for 100% British bread
By John Reynolds, marketingmagazine.co.uk, Monday, 10 May 2010 12:18PM
LONDON - Warburtons has axed plans to launch an all-British loaf baked using 100% British wheat.
In November last year, Warburtons revealed that it would launch the British loaves from its network of more than 300 farmers across the UK. The loaf was earmarked to be made available this year.
It was the first time in its history that Warburtons had planned to launch an all-British loaf.
However, a company statement said: "Following further research and discussions with our customers, we have, or the moment, decided not to proceed with the production of our British loaf."
The statement added: "We will instead focus on developing other new product opportunities that, we believe, will be of greater benefit to the category, greater benefit to our customers and in turn, their shoppers."
Warburtons highlighted its Grained Farmhouse rolls as examples of where it would it would direct its future spending.
The group added: "If customer interest in British wheat products grows, then we will ensure we have a high-quality product ready to meet their needs."
The U-turn by Warburtons stands in contrast to arch rival Hovis, which has moved its entire portfolio of bread to British-sourced wheat.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Ad Ops Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager - 12 month contract Brand Recruitment Negotiable, Wellingborough
- Marketing & Copywriting Executive - Marketing/Media/Events Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited £26000 per annum + great benefits, City of London
- Head of Consumer Marketing Europe PSD Group £100,000 basic + 25% bonus + £7,000 car allowance + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)