IAB backs OFT behavioural targeting review
LONDON - The Internet Advertising Bureau has backed Office of Fair Trading's calls to provide consumers with clearer information about how online personal data is used.
The IAB has branded the OFT's review of the £64m behavioural advertising market a "step forward for the industry".
Published today (25 May), the study concludes the online industry "could do more" when it comes to behavioural targeting. The OFT has said the industry should provide consumers with more comprehensive information about how personal information is collected and used, to avoid the misuse of data.
Nick Stinger, director of regulatory affairs at the IAB, said the industry would "work together to raise awareness of the choices that consumers have online and create consistency across the industry".
However, the OFT has made clear that it expects the IAB to provide clear notices alongside behavioural ads, as well as information about how consumers can opt out.
The IAB, which has worked closely with the OFT for the past 18 months as an adviser and representative of the online advertising industry, has also lobbied support for the industry's current self-regulatory framework.
However, the OFT has warned that should industry action prove ineffective, the OFT or ICO would take enforcement action.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Senior Quantitative Consultant / Insight and Brand Strategy / Central London / £40-50k Trace £45,000 to £60,000 , London (Central), London (Greater)
- FABULOUS AGENCY FREELANCE ROLES - AM & SAM !!! Barker Graves GREAT DAY RATES £200/400 A DAY, London (Greater)
- Account Director, SAM or AM ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £300 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Product Developer Digital Gurus £60000 - £85000 Per Annum Benefits, London
- Black horse returns in new Lloyds Bank campaign
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy
- Cannes 2015: Highlights from the Campaign beach party
- UK wins four gold Film Lions
- Watch: Every Grand Prix winner from Cannes Lions 2015
- 'You're thirsty. We've got sales targets', says Oasis in summer campaign launch